In the scalable PLC AC500 system there are two ways to connect I/O modules to the CPU:
- Central, using local I/O bus of CPU module
- Decentralized, via fieldbus between CPU module and remote I/O modules
This means that one superior ABB technology serves two scenarios. The straightforward engineering tool PS501 Control Builder Plus
offers identical configuration and programming independent of central or decentralized connection.
- Up to ten I/O modules can be connected centrally to the CPU.
- For each fieldbus slave, there is also the possibility to connect up to ten I/O modules.
The remote placement
of I/O modules enables a cost-efficient, better quality design of control solutions. It is cost-efficient - instead of using multiple wires between I/O and CPU there is the fieldbus cable only. It is better quality because the short wires from I/O ports to automation devices limit interference to acceptable levels.
With S500 I/O modules and the variety of ABB fieldbus solutions, the layout of machines becomes far more adaptable to the production requirements than with simpler PLCs.
How is this possible?
1. Machine design engineers can select the appropriate performance.
2. The communication technology which fits best to the machine is selectable.
3. The convincing cost-benefit ratio is to be taken into consideration when planning the application.
Fieldbus options for decentralized I/O
S500 I/O modules overview
- PROFIBUS DP
- CANopen including CANsync
- Modbus TCP
- Modbus serial
- ABB CS31
- Wireless Interface
More details are available in the Automation Products catalog.
|DI524 ||32 input channels|
|DC522||16 channels configurable as inputs or outputs|
|DC523||24 channels configurable as inputs or outputs|
|DC532||16 input channels and 16 configurable channels|
|DX522||8 input channels and 8 relay outputs|
|DX531||120/230 V AC, 8 input channels and 4 relay outputs|
Special function modules
|AX521||4 input and 4 output channels, |
12 bits + sign
|AX522||8 input and 8 output channels, |
12 bits + sign
|AI523||16 input channels, 12 bits + sign|
|AO523||16 output channels, 12 bits + sign|
|AI531||8 input channels, 15 bits + sign|
Fast counter functions
|CD522||for encoder tasks including PWM outputs|
|DA501||mixed analog/digital I/O module|
are available with most fieldbus options.
Pre-wiring is a great means to protect valuable active electronics from damage during installation. It is a plus for fast assembly and module exchange.
Extreme conditions? No problem, most modules are available in XC version for harsh, extreme conditions.