At the time of plant startup a low voltage switchgear installation is delivered, installed and commissioned as specified. During the lifetime of a plant customer choose to optimize plant operation by extending the site with additional motors and loads. Products worn out due to operation or the switchgear simply reached the end of the life cycle. Extensions, upgrade or retrofit are the solutions offered by ABB Low Voltage switchgear service.
Extensions on switchgears are performed to increase plant site and add new motors and loads to existing switchgears. This are:
- Change of load size to either smaller or larger functional units,
- Parametering and setting of protection devices,
- Addition loads or motors,
- Extend switchgear assemblies with additional cubicles.
MNS and MNS iS switchgear supports the customer by providing a simple way to modify and extend the switchgear due to the unique and flexible design of MNS with:
- Easy conversion of compartments in MNS,
- Reduced shut down periods,
- Maintaining existing parts,
- Addition of cubicles directly to existing assemblies,
Extensions are engineered using our standard engineering tool, which guarantees backwards compatibility to the original system.
Upgrades and Retrofits
New generations of components and software increase the operating efficiency and extend the life time of the switchgear. ABB offers low-risk migration strategies for its range of products used in MNS and MNS iS switchgear to ensure maximum return on investment. Examples are the exchange older circuit breakers with completely new designs. A unit with the same characteristics as the existing circuit breaker can often be fitted in the same frame size, sometime also offering new functions. As another example, conventional motor starter functional units can be equipped with intelligent electronic relays for advanced motor control and condition monitoring.
Customer expectations such as to have:
- a solution for classic or obsolete systems;
- a strategy to extended switchgear lifetime;
- cost reduction due to maximized efficiency;
- up-to-date system set up.
are responded by ABB service with:
- Support and supply customer with information and updates of ABB technology;
- Exchange of obsolete components with latest ABB technology;
- Renew a system or components while keeping all functionality, i.e. motor controller upgrading;
- Reuse of existing components.
ABB Low Voltage switchgear service ensures the complete success of the upgrade, retrofit or migration in close cooperation with the customer and provides benefits:
- Avoid obsolescence, provides latest technology that will be supported for a long time;
- Reduction in cost compared with those needed to install completely new switchboards;
- Higher productivity and availability of assets;
- Continuous availability;
- Life time extension.